List out all the little things you do as a DBA, since the term DBA means so many different things in each shop.
Here’s my list:
- Test Restores – that’s a biggee
- Troubleshoot performance issues
- New Technology cheerleader to the masses
- Poorly written application debugger
- Vendor liaison to explain above said poorly written application
- Owner of the Interfaces
- Work many maintenance windows
- Apply Service Packs and Cumulative Updates
- Cleanup Crew for when things are thrown in with poor planning or communication
- Hand holding with unsure developers
- Proving it’s not the SQL Server
- Server automation script writer
- The Voice of Reason on production issues
- Supervise all ad-hoc code run against production
- Install SQL Server / Maintain SQL Server / Give Last Rites to decommissioned SQL Servers
- Fighter of battles of who has access to production.
- Guardian of the data
- Educate Vendors on how to properly index a database.
- Refresh Test/Dev from production
I do many other things on Tom’s list, these are just some of the ones that he does not mention.